Subject: Re: Extending whitespace checks

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2024 08:53:06 +0900

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> But it seems like a very deep rabbit hole to start adding in
> shared-library line validators, because I think it ends in "now
> compile this before I agree to apply the patch".

I am not sure I understand your conclusion.  Who is telling that to
whom?  Somebody sends a patch that creates a file that requires a
special validator and the maintainer gives the validator and tells
the contributor to go use it to make sure their addition passses
before resubmitting?

I was hoping that the ability to add extra validators is more of an
enabler (than requirement and hindrance) for those who choose to be
extra careful.  It is similar to CFLAGS in our Makefile that allows
you to use options to enable more strict compiler warnings than what
other developers usually use, to notice certain class of problems
others may miss.

Shared-libraries and plug-ins remain to be solution in search of
problem at least for this project.  I do not really need CSV comma
counter, but I thought it may give a good excuse for those who want
to play with Rust and other stuff ;-)