Subject: Re: [RFC]: Test Were failing on Fedora Linux.

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2024 12:11:46 +0900

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> I don't offhand know of a good portable way to ask the system about
> available libraries. But I guess just doing something like:
>
>   err=$(LD_PRELOAD=libc_malloc.so.0 git version 2>&1 >/dev/null)
>   if test -z "$err"
>   then
> 	...seemed to work...
>   fi
>
> would do it?

I do not necessarily view it as "asking the system about available
libraries"; we are checking if we can sensibly run things with this
set to LD_PRELOAD.  And presumably the answer was "no" in the
original report, so it is a very direct way to ensure that we are
setting it to a sensible value.  I like it.

The above did not work for me until I did "s/malloc/&_debug/" on the
command line.  At this point in the start-up sequence in the test
framework, we should be able to run "git" from the PATH just fine,
so it would be a good way to check if we can trigger the malloc
check with the way how we expect to be able to trigger it.

Thanks.