Subject: Re: [PATCH] ci: fix Python dependency on Ubuntu 24.04

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2024 10:49:55 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> So ultimately, it does not matter which jobs use what. But what does
> matter is whether the image even supports Python 2. And as we nowadays
> do have a fair split of jobs using "ubuntu:20.04" and "ubuntu:latest",
> I'd just use that the the criterium to pick the Python version.
>
> Once we drop support for Ubuntu 20.04, we can then more forward and stop
> supporting Python 2 altogether. Or maybe even earlier than that -- I do
> not think it is reasonable to ask Git to maintain compatibility with a
> project that is end of life already.

Yup.  If an distro sticks to Python 2 for whatever reason, they may
want to donate and dedicate CI resources, but otherwise it is not
really our job to keep compatibility on our side.

>> With this change, "linux-gcc" jobs using ubuntu 20.04 will now use
>> Python 2. Is that what we want?
>
> Well, as explained above, the selection was arbitrary in the first
> place. Now it's less so as the choice is mandated by what is actually
> supported.

Yup, as long as there is one that supports Python 2 among the
distros we happen to use for our CIs, we can pick that one.
Otherwise we should drop.

Dropping Python 2 support does not have to wait for Git 3.0, I would
say.

Thanks.