Subject: Re: Short form of --force-with-lease

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 14:30:44 -0700

<[email-masked]> writes:

> If this is mostly about saving typing, you could get a similar effect adding
> an alias. Something like
>
> git config --global alias.pushfl 'push --force-with-lease'

The use of --force-with-lease without specifying which commit you
took lease on is not all that safe [*], so I am not sure how useful
such an alias will be.

Configuring how "--force" behaves and changing it to an unadorned
"--force-with-lease" is to promote a not-so-safe feature as if it is
safe with false sense of safety, which is not something we would
want to do.

[Footnote]

 * This of course highly depends on your workflow and third-party
   companion tools.  If you (or your IDE in the background) fetch
   from the remote after you started working on the commit to be
   force-pushed, it would update the tip of the remote-tracking
   branch, making --force-with-lease base its decision on a wrong
   commit that your work is not based on.