Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] test-lib: replace repeated code logic with an existing helper

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 14:58:57 -0700

"Mohit Marathe via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Mohit Marathe <[email-masked]>
>
> This patch replaces the code, that changes the path separators,
> with the already existing function `change_path_separators()`

Aside from that the name change_path_separators() needs to be
updated, using it here means that the helper cannot become a NO-OP
on platforms where we do not have to change backslashes we read from
the system to forward slashes.  So if we really wanted to use it
here, and update the other existing callers in the main code to help
them lose the ugly "#if WINDOWS" conditional compilation, we would
need two helper functions, perhaps one that is used here that is
identical to the current convert_slashes(), and the other one used
to clean-up the callsites in [1/2] to also remove the conditional
compilation.

Even if we were to make it public, I am not sure if compat-util is
the right place, though.  It is not a kitchen sink.

In any case, perhaps we want to do something like this in a header,
...

	static inline void bs_to_forward_slash_in_place(char *path)
	{
		...
	}
	#ifdef GIT_WINDOWS_NATIVE
	#define normalize_slashes_in_place(path) bs_to_forward_slash_in_place(path)
	#else
	#define normalize_slashes_in_place(path) do { ; /* nothing */ } while (0)
	#endif

... and then use the "normalize" one to lose "#ifdef" in the callers
[1/2] touches, while "bs_to_forward_slash" one here.

I am not convinced if it is worth doing only for this single test,
though.

> @@ -88,9 +86,8 @@ static const char *make_relative(const char *location)
>  
>  	/* convert backslashes to forward slashes */
>  	strlcpy(buf, location + prefix_len, sizeof(buf));
> -	for (p = buf; *p; p++)
> -		if (*p == '\\')
> -			*p = '/';
> +	p = buf;
> +	change_path_separators(p);
>  	return buf;
>  }