Subject: Re: [PATCH] checkout: add config variable checkout.autoDetach

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 09:48:19 +0900

Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

>> and good thing to help new users.  I do not know how others react to
>> this kind of proliferation of configuration variables, but I do not
>> mind this particular variable existing.
>
> I'm a bit wary of having a config variable that could break
> scripts relying on the current behavior of "git checkout".  As far
> as "git switch" goes I don't particularly mind this config
> variable though I'm not sure it is that hard to type "--detach"
> (especially with tab completion) and

I do not have much sympathy myself to scripts that are not being
defensive enough to write "--detach" explicitly, but I do understand
and share your concern as the project maintainer.

> ... I do worry that we're making the UI more complex each
> time we add something like this.

Thanks for saying this---this is exactly the kind of reaction I as
expecting to see.

> Best Wishes
> Phillip