Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] pretty: add '%aA' to show domain-part of email addresses

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 09:12:06 +0900

Kousik Sanagavarapu <[email-masked]> writes:

> Liam Beguin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] pretty: add '%aA' to show domain-part of email addresses
>
> Since we are adding both '%aa' and '%aA', it would be better to
> to include both in the commit subject, but since it is already long
> enough, in my opinion
>
> 	pretty: add formats for domain-part of email address
>
> would convey the gist of the commit to the reader better.

;-).  Very good.

>> Many reports use the email domain to keep track of organizations
>> contributing to projects.

Grouping @gmail.com addresses do not smell all that useful, though.

More importantly, it is not clear what "Many reports" refers to.  If
they are *not* verbatim output from "git log" family of commands,
iow, they are produced by post-processing output from "git log"
family of commands, then I do not quite see why %aa is useful at
all.

Thanks.