Subject: Re: [PATCH] doc: correct the 50 characters soft limit

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 07:10:18 -0700

"謝致邦 (XIE Zhibang) via GitGitGadget"  <[email-masked]>
writes:

> The soft limit of the first line of the commit message should be
> "no more than 50 characters" or "50 characters or less", but not
> "less than 50 character".

The limit being "soft", I highly doubt that anybody would wonder if
a title that is exactly 50 columns wide is or is not acceptable.

The updated one is more grammatically correct than the original, so
the patch is not without merit, though ;-)

Thanks.

> ...
>  Though not required, it's a good idea to begin the commit message
> -with a single short (less than 50 character) line summarizing the
> +with a single short (no more than 50 characters) line summarizing the
>  change, followed by a blank line and then a more thorough description.
>  The text up to the first blank line in a commit message is treated
>  as the commit title, and that title is used throughout Git.
>
> base-commit: bcb6cae2966cc407ca1afc77413b3ef11103c175