Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-gui - use git-hook, honor core.hooksPath

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 09:58:25 -0700

Mark Levedahl <[email-masked]> writes:

> Certainly, folks rolling their own can pull
> from upstream git-gui, but they take the risk of incompatibility with
> an outdated git. Other tools in Junio's tree have already made the
> switch to git-hook (send-email, git-p4) even though they are usually
> packaged separately from git-core, but also version locked to matching
> git-core.

The cross-version compatibility story is the same for "gitk" (which
I believe "git-gui" took the "do not too deeply depend on the
matching version of git" mantra from).  I can understand the desire
and being able to aim for wider compatibility may be an advantage
for these tools that are not tightly bundled with the rest of the
system.  It allowed them to evolve without waiting for Git to catch
up, for example.

But at this point in their history where these tools are very
mature, it may be fair to say that the cross-version compatibility
is becoming a lost cause.