Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] sequencer: rectify empty hint in call of require_clean_work_tree()

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2023 14:44:25 -0700

Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]> writes:

> The canonical way to represent "no error hint" is making it NULL, which
> shortcuts the error() call altogether. This fixes the output by removing
> the line which said just "error:", which would appear when starting a
> rebase whose initial checkout worked fine despite a dirty worktree. This

Thanks for adding this info.  

"git rebase" does not seem to start (i.e. does not perform "initial
checkout") from a dirty working tree, with

	error: cannot rebase: You have unstaged changes.
	error: Please commit or stash them.

at least from my quick attempt.  I am not sure if this is actually
triggerble?

In any case, I've replaced v2 that I had with this version, as the
description is much better.  The change to the code does look
correct but now it does not seem to trigger, it is unclear to me if
the fix is merely theoretical (a command-by-command transcript would
have helped here).

Thanks.