Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 0/1] push: introduce '--heads' option

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 11:48:43 -0700

Teng Long <[email-masked]> writes:

> ZheNing Hu mentioned me that could use "OPT_ALIAS" instead, it seems
> like could be better than OPT_BIT in this scenario. If so, are problems
> that may arise from interactions shielded? If not, I'm willing to add
> extra test about it (some relevant advice if possible).

The intent of ALIAS is to just add an extra option visible at the UI
level that behaves exactly the same as the other one at the code
level, so the codepath that is prepared to deal with one can handle
the other one without any extra effort.  In fact, after the option
parsing is finished, the rest of the code should not even be able to
tell which one, the original or the alias, was used on the command
line.

And in this case, you'd want a new "push all branches" option that
behaves exactly like existing "--all", and possibly you may over
time want to deprecate the latter.  All the code to ensure how
"--all" should interact with other options should be working fine
(or if there is a bug, that needs to be corrected whether we would
add this alias or not).

Sounds like a very good plan to me.

Thanks.