Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] send-email: export patch counters in validate environment

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 13:37:44 -0700

"Robin Jarry" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Also, if I understand how worktrees function, applying patches in
> a detached HEAD will create blobs in the current git dir. These will
> eventually be garbage collected but I wonder if that could be a problem.

You are the user who just ran format-patch to prepare sending out
the patches, and you are checking your patches.  Wouldn't you have
the blobs already anyways?

> As explained above, `set -e` will force early exit if any command fails
> without being explicitly handled. I will remove die/exit calls.

I'd rather not to see anybody go in that direction.  "set -e" is a
poor substitute for a properly designed error handling.  Between

	set -e
	command A
	command B
	command C

and

	command A &&
	command B &&
	command C || die message

the former can only say "command B" failed because command B was run
under some condition that it did not like, but that is too low level
an error that is close to the implementation.  As opposed to the
latter that can talk about what it _means_ that any one of these
three commands did not succeed in the end-user's terms.

Thanks.