Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Dec 2022, #05; Wed, 14)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 19:44:23 +0900

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> In the past, I tried to re-examine all the topics in 'next' myself
> to pick and choose the ones to be kept before rewinding and
> rebuilding 'next' after each release, which took me a while.  This
> time, to share the burden to expedite the process, I'll reset 'next'
> to 'master' without any topics merged, and rely on input from list
> participants.
>
> The topics that used to be in 'next' are all marked as "Will merge
> back to 'next'", but people can tell me to give them a chance to
> reboot their topics, instead of piling "oops, that was wrong" fixes
> on top, while I wait for such an input for the coming days.

What is involved in "re-examine to pick and choose the ones to be
kept" was to go to the original thread (which should not be too
hard, as Taylor has maintained the "source:" line in the report well
during my absense) see general consensus and the reason behind the
consensus back then still applies today.  So another way people can
help the process is to say something like "After re-reading the
https://lore.kernel.org/git/$THIS thread, and particularly reading
$THAT message from $TRUSTWORTHY_REVIEWER, what the $TOPIC wants to
do and how it does it are both sensible."

No self promotion, though ;-)