Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] branch: do not fail a no-op --edit-desc

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 10:01:01 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The end result is OK in that the configuration variable does not
>> exist in the resulting repository, but we should do better, by using
>> git_config_set_gently() and ignoring only the specific error that is
>> returned when removing a missing configuration variable.
> ...
> I was curious to follow up on your suggestion in your 3rd paragraph, so
> I tried implementing this in the config API, results below, if you're
> interested in it assume my SOB.

Did I make any suggestion?  I am assuming that what I left in the
quote above is the paragraph you are referring to, and that is not a
suggestion but a description of what the patch did, so I am puzzled.

> But, having done that I discovered that your code here has a bug,
> admittedly a pretty obscure one. The CONFIG_NOTHING_SET flag on "set"
> doesn't mean "nothing to set, because it's there already", it means
> "either <that>, or the key is multi-value and I'm bailing out".

Ah, OK, so in short, _gently() is still unusable to use for that.  I
guess it means that the approach taken by v1 would be a better
solution, then.

Thanks.