Subject: Re: [PATCH] repack: document there is no need to avoid delta-base-offset

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 15:20:39 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 19 2022, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> As continued use of 1.4.4 by people stopped being an issue long time
>> ago, we can safely remove the warning about interoperability that we
>> added in 1.6.0 when the use of delta-base-offset has become default.
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
>> ---
>>
>>  * Instead of outright removing, it probably is a good idea to hint
>>    the reason why the now seemingly useless configuration variable
>>    is there, perhaps.
>
> We cover that in git-config(1), I don't see a reason to continue
> dicsussing it in git-repack(1) as well. Just above the paragraph you're
> modifying we link to it.
>
> The patch you've got here also replaces a specific reason (pre-1.4.4)
> with a vague reference to "hardly any reason", leaving the reader
> wondering what that reason is...

Yup, that is the effect I exactly wanted to have, with the "hint".
If you are curious, you'd dig.  If not, you can just trust the
documentation and not worry about it ;-)