Subject: [PATCH] 2.36 gitk/diff-tree --stdin regression fix

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 09:11:44 -0700

This only surfaced as a regression after 2.36 release, but the
breakage was already there with us for at least a year.

The diff_free() call is to be used after we completely finished with
a diffopt structure.  After "git diff A B" finishes producing
output, calling it before process exit is fine.  But there are
commands that prepares diff_options struct once, compares two sets
of paths, releases resources that were used to do the comparison,
then reuses the same diff_option struct to go on to compare the next
two sets of paths, like "git log -p".  

After "git log -p" finishes showing a single commit, calling it
before it goes on to the next commit is NOT fine.  There is a
mechanism, the .no_free member in diff_options struct, to help "git
log" to avoid calling diff_free() after showing each commit and
instead call it just one.  When the mechanism was introduced in
e900d494 (diff: add an API for deferred freeing, 2021-02-11),
however, we forgot to do the same to "diff-tree --stdin", which *is*
a moral equivalent to "git log".

During 2.36 release cycle, we started clearing the pathspec in
diff_free(), so programs like gitk that runs

    git diff-tree --stdin -- <pathspec>

downstream of a pipe, processing one commit after another, started
showing irrelevant comparison outside the given <pathspec> from the
second commit.  The same commit, by forgetting to teach the .no_free
mechanism, broke "diff-tree --stdin -I<regexp>" and nobody noticed
it for over a year, presumably because it is so seldom used an
option.

But <pathspec> is a different story.  The breakage was very
prominently visible and was reported immediately after 2.36 was
released.

Fix this breakage by mimicking how "git log" utilizes the .no_free
member so that "diff-tree --stdin" behaves more similarly to "log".

Protect the fix with a few new tests.

Reported-by: Matthias Aßhauer <[email-masked]>
Helped-by: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Helped-by: Phillip Wood <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---

 * I feel MUCH better with this than the revert, now Phillip helped
   me to get the root cause straight.  Addition of clear_pathspec()
   to diff_tree() was *not* a mistake but is quite reasonable thing
   to do.  Not using the .no_free hack in a code path that needed it
   was.

 builtin/diff-tree.c     |  3 +++
 log-tree.c              |  1 +
 t/t4013-diff-various.sh | 14 ++++++++++++++
 3 files changed, 18 insertions(+)

diff --git a/builtin/diff-tree.c b/builtin/diff-tree.c
index 0e0ac1f167..116097a404 100644
--- a/builtin/diff-tree.c
+++ b/builtin/diff-tree.c
@@ -195,6 +195,7 @@ int cmd_diff_tree(int argc, const char **argv, const char *prefix)
 		int saved_dcctc = 0;
 
 		opt->diffopt.rotate_to_strict = 0;
+		opt->diffopt.no_free = 1;
 		if (opt->diffopt.detect_rename) {
 			if (!the_index.cache)
 				repo_read_index(the_repository);
@@ -217,6 +218,8 @@ int cmd_diff_tree(int argc, const char **argv, const char *prefix)
 		}
 		opt->diffopt.degraded_cc_to_c = saved_dcctc;
 		opt->diffopt.needed_rename_limit = saved_nrl;
+		opt->diffopt.no_free = 0;
+		diff_free(&opt->diffopt);
 	}
 
 	return diff_result_code(&opt->diffopt, 0);
diff --git a/log-tree.c b/log-tree.c
index 25165e2a91..f8c18fd8b9 100644
--- a/log-tree.c
+++ b/log-tree.c
@@ -1098,6 +1098,7 @@ int log_tree_commit(struct rev_info *opt, struct commit *commit)
 	opt->loginfo = &log;
 	opt->diffopt.no_free = 1;
 
+	/* NEEDSWORK: no restoring of no_free?  Why? */
 	if (opt->line_level_traverse)
 		return line_log_print(opt, commit);
 
diff --git a/t/t4013-diff-various.sh b/t/t4013-diff-various.sh
index 750aee17ea..628b01f355 100755
--- a/t/t4013-diff-various.sh
+++ b/t/t4013-diff-various.sh
@@ -542,6 +542,20 @@ test_expect_success 'diff-tree --stdin with log formatting' '
 	test_cmp expect actual
 '
 
+test_expect_success 'diff-tree --stdin with pathspec' '
+	cat >expect <<-EOF &&
+	Third
+
+	dir/sub
+	Second
+
+	dir/sub
+	EOF
+	git rev-list master^ |
+	git diff-tree -r --stdin --name-only --format=%s dir >actual &&
+	test_cmp expect actual
+'
+
 test_expect_success 'diff -I<regex>: setup' '
 	git checkout master &&
 	test_seq 50 >file0 &&
-- 
2.36.0-202-g319c44b8f9