Subject: Re: Failures in t9001-send-email

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 23:51:07 -0700

Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I had a look at the tests to try to guess what was wrong, but I didn't
>> come up with anything.  Any ideas?
>
> You run ./t9001-send-email.sh (without `prove`). Add -v to see some
> verbiage from the tests, throw in -i to have it stop at the first
> failure (so you don't have to scroll back to find it), and add -x for
> additional traces of commands that the shell executes (to see the exact
> command that failed).
>
> IFAIC, I always go all in, i.e., either all or none of -v -i -x.

Good suggestion.

I rarely (if ever) use "-x" myself but another useful thing to know,
while learning how the existing test works (i.e. studying a working
test, not debugging a broken test) is to use "-d", possibly together
with "-v", which refrains from removing the trash directory.  Then
you can go in and examine the state of the test repository the tests
left.

Thanks.