Subject: Re: v2.35.0 DEVELOPER=1 regression

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 17:02:33 -0800

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> Whereas the C11 warning is "just" recent FreeBSD && DEVELOPER=1.
>
> So I assumed if you weren't interested in the former before the final
> you probably wouldn't be in the latter, but wanted to provide a more
> narrow fix in case you were.

If we muck with the inclusion of libgen.h, it then becomes a problem
for everybody who builds on FreeBSD, not just the developer builds.
IOW, it is not even narrower to begin with.  Giving the same
potential breakage to everybody will make it easier to diagnose it,
but because I do not trust -std=gnu99 on today's FreeBSD, I think it
is a problem we do not even have to solve.

> I.e. the point of doing it is to avoid the one-time pain of anyone
> building new releases of git on $OLD_OS/$OLD_DISTRO not having to run
> into the compilation error that's fixed with NO_UNCOMPRESS2=Y.
> ...
> If we then get this into v2.36.0 there'll be someone somewhere that
> benefits, but I'd think the ship has sailed for most of those who'd
> avoid the needless flag twiddling (git-packagers@ et al).

I actually think it is a good thing.  It is what they brought onto
themselves.  They can follow David's example next time.