Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 2/3] sparse-checkout: custom tab completion

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 11:40:30 -0800

Elijah Newren <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm not sure I follow.  READM<TAB> already doesn't complete to
> README.md in the following example command lines:
>    'cd READM<TAB>'
>    'ssh READM<TAB>'

If the example were "ls READM<TAB>", it would have been worth the
time to read and think about this again, but all users expect "cd"
to go into directories, and "ssh" to go visit another host, and
taking a local filename as a hint to complete would be nonsense.

But that is not what we are talking about (and it is frustrating
that you know it).  

To users, what sparse-checkout takes look like local pathnames, not
necessarily limited to directory names (if you disagree, go back and
read what SZEDER wrote to trigger this thread).

I know it is your preference to complete only directories and
exclude filenames, but I question if the confusion such a design
causes to end-users is worth it.