Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/6] json-writer.[ch]: remove unused formatting functions

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 13:53:38 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 01:46:26PM +0100, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>
>> These were added in 75459410edd (json_writer: new routines to create
>> JSON data, 2018-07-13) for future use with trace2, but have not been
>> used by anything. These are easy enough to bring back should we need
>> them, but until then there's no point in carrying them.
>
> This is another one where I could _imagine_ somebody using these in a
> custom patch or topic in flight (though I don't have any such case
> myself). And they complete the json-writer API, so keeping them is not
> that ugly.

This falls into the same category as 5/6 in my mind.

> But I'm also OK with dropping them under the notion of cleanliness, and
> that they're easy-ish to resurrect.

Again, all the same "resurrecting is the easy part, knowing we used
to have one is hardre", "keeping is not without cost", "apparently
incomplete API is an invitation for future reinvention" apply here.