Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 0/5] drop support for ancient curl

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 12:03:39 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> Per the feature creep feedback on v3 this v4 ejects the two new
> changes new in v3. The below range-diff is against v2, not v3.
>
> I dug into the 7.16.4 v.s. 7.17.0 documentation issue and found that
> it's bug in curl's docs, for which I submitted a patch.
>
> I considered keeping
> <[email-masked]>, but
> sequencing it in made the range diff quite a bit larger, so per the
> feature creep feedback I ejected it too. Junio: Perhaps you'd like to
> cherry-pick it on top too, or it can be dug up post-release.

Either is fine; it is absolutely correct but "who cares" low impact
patch in the shorter term.  We'd eventually want to have it (and
something in the spirit of "have a central place we know what the
current state of our cURL dependency is", too) for the longer-term,
but they are not in urgent need anyway.

Thanks for working on it.

>     +    The documentation[2] currently claims that it was introduced in
>     +    7.16.4, but the symbols-in-versions file correctly states
>     +    7.17.0[3].
>     +
>     +    I've submitted an upstream
>     +    patch (<[email-masked]>) to the
>     +    curl-library mailing list fix the documentation.

I am not sure how to get to the patch, but I suspect you might be
misreading "up to X", which is different from "before X".  Once cURL
mailing list confirms my suspicion, we would need to come back and
update this patch again.

>          1. https://curl.se/libcurl/c/CURLOPT_HTTPAUTH.html
>          2. https://curl.se/libcurl/c/CURLOPT_USE_SSL.html
>     +    3. https://github.com/curl/curl/blob/master/docs/libcurl/symbols-in-versions
>      
>          Signed-off-by: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
>      
> 5:  64e510b4a6b = 5:  e34ab1d1f65 http: rename CURLOPT_FILE to CURLOPT_WRITEDATA