Subject: Re: Pain points in Git's patch flow

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 01:02:58 -0700

Bagas Sanjaya <[email-masked]> writes:

> There is no lists of "beginner-friendly" issues that can be worked on by
> new contributors. They had to search this ML archive for bug report
> issues and determine themselves which are beginner-friendly.

Yeah, looking for "#leftoverbits" or "low-hanging" on the list
archive is often cited as a way, and it does seem easy enough to
do.  You go to https://lore.kernel.org/git/, type "leftoverbits"
or "low-hanging" in the text input and press SEARCH.

But that is only half of the story.

Anybody can throw random ideas and label them "#leftoverbits" or
"low-hanging fruit", but some of these ideas might turn out to be
ill-conceived or outright nonsense.  Limiting search to the
utterances by those with known good taste does help, but as a
newbie, you do not know who these people with good taste are.

It might help to have a curated list of starter tasks, but I suspect
that they tend to get depleted rather quickly---by definition the
ones on the list are easy to do and there is nothing to stop an
eager newbie from eating all of them in one sitting X-(.

So, I dunno.  We seem to suffer from the same lack of good starter
tasks before each GSoC begins.