Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/9] diff-merges: introduce log.diffMerges config variable

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2021 15:01:26 -0700

SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 11:37:36PM +0200, SZEDER Gábor wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 08, 2021 at 01:56:02AM +0300, Sergey Organov wrote:
>> > New log.diffMerges configuration variable sets the format that
>> > --diff-merges=def will be using. The default is "separate".
>> > 
>> > Signed-off-by: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
>> > ---
>> >  builtin/log.c |  2 ++
>> >  diff-merges.c | 11 +++++++++++
>> >  diff-merges.h |  2 ++
>> >  3 files changed, 15 insertions(+)
>> 
>> Please don't forget to document this new configuration variable.
>
> Oh, just noticed that you do document it in the last patch of the
> series, and, similarly, you add new options early in this patch series
> and add the corresponding documentation in the second to last patch.
> Please squash in those documentation updates into the corresponding
> patches.

Since any new topic that adds new configuration variable or update
the description of an existing one would interact badly with the
last step of Emily's es/config-hooks topic, b58f84c4 (docs: unify
githooks and git-hook manpages, 2021-03-10), where the description
of all the individual options are moved to a newly created file, and
it is not practical to take all the new topics that touch the
documentation for the configuration variables hostage to the topic
that seems to be dormant for quite a while, I'll discard the last
step from es/config-hooks topic for now.  We really should get it
moving soon (or discard and reboot it later---it is getting in the
way for other topics to keep it in my tree, either way).

Thanks.