Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] Makefile: make non-symlink & non-hardlink install sane

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 16:08:36 -0700

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> This is on top of my just-submitted "Makefile: don't die on AIX with
> open ./git" series: [1]
>
> This series introduces no "real" behavior changes I'd expect anyone to
> notice, but refactors a lengthy copy/pasted test/if/else in the
> Makefile into a simple helper script.
>
> The "real" behavior change is that we no longer ask the user how
> they'd like to install (symlinks, hardlinks, neither?) and then
> proceed to ignore what was asked of us and optimistically fallback in
> case of errors. I.e. the inability to create symlinks or hardlinks.
>
> Instead we'll just die, the old behavior is still available as
> INSTALL_FALLBACK_LN_CP. In practice I think exactly nobody actually
> wanted the existing behavior.

I read most of the patches in the series.

While I like the general direction to allow builders/installers more
precisely to specify what methods of installation are preferred, I
do not know if I agree with the exact execution.  It does not help
that the series is built on top of that "generate in temporary and
move to the final, even for $(CC)" series, most of which I do not
think I agree with.

Thanks.