Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/10] fsck: API improvements (no conflicts with 'seen')

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 14:19:02 -0800

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> As suggested in
> https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/ a
> version of this that doesn't conflict with other in-flight topics. I
> can submit the rest later.

And a bystander does not have a clue what this thing is about,
beyond that it tweaks fsck API, how urgent it would be, what benefit
it brings to us?

That kind of things are expected to be described here.

The cover letter of v1 does not do much better job, either, but is
it fair to understand that this primarily is about allowing the
callback functions (which handle various problems fsck machinery
finds) to learn what error it encountered, so that things like
"enumerate missing .gitmodules blobs" 384c9d1c (fetch-pack: print
and use dangling .gitmodules, 2021-01-23) wants to do does not have
to be written by inserting a very narrow custom code into the
general error reporting codepath, but by customizing the error
reporting function?

If so, can we at least say something a bit more specific and
focused, than the overly broad "API improvements"?

THanks.