Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 00/10] make "mktag" use fsck_tag()

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2020 14:30:45 -0800

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:

> This version should address all the comments Junio made on v2. Changes:
>
>  * The whole "extra" fsck option is gone, I just didn't realize I
>    could set the new check to "ignore", and then manually promote it.
>
>  * Ejected "mktag: reword write_object_file() error". It was the same
>    phrasing as "git tag" uses, let's just keep it.
>
>  * Clarifications in docs/commit messages
>
>  * There's 2 extra patches at the end now which take the first steps
>    into making "git mktag" more of a normal builtin. It reads fsck.*
>    config variables, so you can turn off that "no extra headers" check
>    through the normal fsck.<msg-id>=ignore config.
>
>    It should also be moved to getopts, and we could make it support
>    --no-strict to have the same idea of error/warning as fsck itself,
>    but that's #leftoverbits, along with moving it to i18n.
>
>    It would be nice to have patches 1-8 merged down if they're deemed
>    ready, and if 9-10 aren't deemed wanted just discard them. I think
>    it makes sense though...

Thanks.  I haven't read the individual patches, but spotted an
obvious "is is" typo in the doc while scanning through the end
result of applying all of them.

 Documentation/git-mktag.txt | 7 +++----
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git c/Documentation/git-mktag.txt w/Documentation/git-mktag.txt
index e1506dde56..2c1afedef6 100644
--- c/Documentation/git-mktag.txt
+++ w/Documentation/git-mktag.txt
@@ -27,10 +27,9 @@ write a tag found in `my-tag`:
 The difference is that mktag will die before writing the tag if the
 tag doesn't pass a linkgit:git-fsck[1] check.
 
-The "fsck" check done mktag is is stricter than what
-linkgit:git-fsck[1] would run by default in that all `fsck.<msg-id>`
-messages are promoted from warnings to errors (so e.g. a missing
-"tagger" line is an error).
+The "fsck" check done mktag is stricter than what linkgit:git-fsck[1]
+would run by default in that all `fsck.<msg-id>` messages are promoted
+from warnings to errors (so e.g. a missing "tagger" line is an error).
 
 Extra headers in the object are also an error under mktag, but ignored
 by linkgit:git-fsck[1]. This extra check can be turned off by setting