Subject: Re: Request for git merge --signoff

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2017 13:25:29 -0700

Dan Kohn <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 1:45 PM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Dan Kohn <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> Could you please add a `--signoff` option to `git merge`?
>
>> The reason why we changed the default for "git merge" to start an
>> editor at around v1.7.10 was because we wanted to encourage people
>> to write log message that more meaningfully documents the change,
>> and adding sign-off is probably in line with that.
>
>> I've done that "commit --amend" on a merge to tweak its message
>> myself number of times, but I have to admit that I never did so for
>> sign-off, but why not? ;-)
>
> I'm not opposed to starting the editor, although ...
> ...
> Even if you turn down my request for a new flag here,...

Was I a bit too oblique?  I said that do think "merge --signoff" is
in line with the latest philosophy, i.e. not rejecting the idea of
add such an option.  IOW, patches welcome (either from you or other
people).