Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/7] Flags and config to sign pushes by default

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 12:54:59 -0700

Dave Borowitz <[email-masked]> writes:

> Is there a common utility function that does what we want? Basically
> git_config_maybe_bool but not specifically about configs.

Interesting.  git_config_maybe_bool() and its friends take the usual
(name, value) and pretend to be part of the "config" family, primarily
because that was where they came from.

But they do not really care about "name", which is used for error
reporting and that is what makes them look very specific to the
config subsystem.

I did a quick grep of git_config_maybe_bool() and I _think_ all
callers are prepared to handle errors themselves, so it might be a
good direction to go in the longer term to drop "name" and rename
the function to git_parse_maybe_bool() or something, and make these
callers use that.

In the shorter term, at least we should be able to introduce
git_parse_maybe_bool() that does not take "name", use that as a
helper to implement git_config_maybe_bool(), so that the existing
callers of git_config_maybe_bool() does not have to change.  And
that new helper can be used as your "Basically it, but not
specifically about configs".