Subject: Re: git error in tag ...: unterminated header

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 10:38:13 -0700

Wolfgang Denk <[email-masked]> writes:

> Apparently for some reason the tags  LABEL_2006_03_12_0025,
> LABEL_2006_04_18_1106, and LABEL_2006_05_19_1133 are missing newlines,
> which was undetected so far, but now is raised as an error.
>
> Question is: how can we fix that?
>
> Is there a tool to "auto-repair" such kind of errors?
>
> If not, would it be be a harmless thing to just delete and recreate
> the same tags (referring to the same commits)?  Or can anybody see any
> problems tha might be caused by such a tag re-creation?  I mean, it is
> not like a rebase of the repository or something like that?  Right?

I am inclined to say that these messages are that recent Git barking
at a non-errors, and hopefully there is nothing other than ignoring
them you have to do until it gets fixed.

But if you decide to recreate tags, there are a few things to keep
in mind:

 * You would get a different object name, of course.  You would
   likely to get different timestamps (you can export the desired
   timestamp in GIT_COMMITTER_DATE, though).

 * Those who fetched from you and already have these tags will not
   get the updated one by default.  They need to force fetch them.