Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] git help: group common commands by theme

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 11:44:56 -0700

Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> And the answer may confuse that someone even further (it is not
>> necessarily "rm", but is often "reset").  As a list of simple
>> command set to help the dip-your-toes-in-water process, a new user
>> may be better off starting with "add", "add ." and "commit -a", and
>> learn from the last part of "git add --help" that there are "rm" and
>> "mv" (both of which happen a lot less often than "add").
>
> If one wonders how to remove a file from Git, expecting that user to
> look at the doc for "git add" to find out seems really backwards to me.

Yeah, but you are moving the goalpost.

What you are reponding to is my reaction to your earlier "the
obvious question of someone who just learnt 'add' would be 'and how
do I do the _opposite_?'".  And I would expect such a person to look
at 'add' to find 'SEE ALSO' section.