Subject: Re: git 2.3.4, ssh: Could not resolve hostname

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 12:24:38 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> but this does not:
>
>   $ git push ssh://does-not-exist:/repo.git
>   ssh: Could not resolve hostname does-not-exist:: No address associated with hostname
>
> (note the doubled colon). v2.3.3 did strip off that extra colon, but I
> am not sure the URL above (i.e., a colon with no hostname) is actually
> sane. IOW, it may have happened to work in older versions, but I'm not
> sure we would want to promise to keep it working.
>
> Can you show us what your URL looks like, obfuscating the names but
> keeping the syntax the same? Also, are you using the "insteadOf" config
> syntax at all (which could easily lead to funny splicing, I imagine).

Everything Jeff said ;-)

Depending on the nature of 'xxxx' in the original, Torsten's
response may be different.  'xxxx' could stand for [9999:9999::9999],
a.host.in.domain.xz, 127.0.0.1, or all the other things and it is a
bit too vague to help us tell which codepath will pick up what and
possibly screw it up.