Subject: Re: git rerere forget isn't working?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 10:24:59 -0800

Robert Dailey <[email-masked]> writes:

> So I want a way to clear out the whole rerere cache (i.e. every
> remembered conflict resolution). So I try this command:
>
> $ git rerere forget .

The forget subcommand is to tell Git that you screwed up in this
sequence:

    $ git merge other ;# or any "mergy" operation that leaves conflict
    $ edit foo ;# help Git resolve conflicts
    $ git rerere foo ;# and tell it to remember
    ... and then later find that your earlier resolution was wrong
    $ git rerere forget foo

The "dot" there may mean "all paths", but it is still "all paths I
resolved for this particular set of conflicts the "mergy" operation
produced.  There is no "I do not care if there are good resolutions
remembered that do not have anything to do with the current merge,
just remove all of them"---that is what "rm -fr .git/rr-cache" is
for.