Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] support for --no-relative and diff.relative

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 11:02:19 -0800

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Patch 2/2 also seems to share similar line-wrapping breakages that
> make it unappliable, but more importantly, the configuration that is
> supposed to correspond to --relative option only parses a boolean.
> Is that the right design, or should it also be able to substitute a
> command line `--relative=<path>` with an argument?
>
> The last was a half-way rhetorical question and my answer is that
> boolean-only is the best you could do...
> ...
> [Footnote]
>
> *1* Actually, you could declare that "diff.relative=true/" means the
>     'true/' directory while "diff.relative=true" means the boolean
>     'true' aka 'diff --relative', but I think it is too confusing.
>     Let's not make it worse by going that route.

Addendum.

It was only a "half-way rhetorical question", because I am willing
to be persuaded that diff.relative=true/ vs diff.relative=true is
*not* too subtle/confusing to be a good idea, if enough people whose
judgement I trust agrees.