Subject: Re: [PATCH] Use wc instead of awk to count subtrees in t0090-cache-tree

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 14:26:00 -0800

Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Ben Walton <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> echo "dir" | /usr/xpg4/bin/awk -v c=0 '$1 {++c} END {print c}'
>>> 0
>>>
>>> And with GNU awk for comparison:
>>> echo "dir" | /opt/csw/gnu/awk -v c=0 '$1 {++c} END {print c}'
>>> 1
>>>
>>> Instead of modifying the awk code to work, use wc -w instead as that
>>> is both adequate and simpler.
>>
>> Hmm, why "wc -w" not "wc -l", though?  Is somebody squashing a
>> one-elem-per-line output from ls-files onto a single line?
>
> The old code was trying to skip empty lines.

Ahh, I misread the original.

Your suggestion to explicitly check $1 != "" makes sense to me now.

To be blunt, I do not have much sympathy to those who insist using
/usr/bin versions of various tools on Solaris that are overriden by
xpg variants, but it is somewhat disturbing that the one from xpg4
does not work.