Subject: Re: [PATCH] submodule: Fix documentation of update subcommand

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 15:08:55 -0800

Michal Sojka <[email-masked]> writes:

> This sounds good, but it doesn't mention the `!command` value of
> .update.

That part is unchanged by what I did.  My rewrite was up to

	... by specifying `--checkout`.

of the existing text.

>> Or something perhaps?  Or the detailed description of
>> submodule.$name.update should be dropped from here and refer the
>> reader to config.txt instead?
>
> I guess you mean gitmodules.txt.

Actually, I do mean the configuration.  .gitmodules is just a
template to help the user populate .git/config, and the latter of
which should be the sole source of truth.  This is an important
principle, and it becomes even more important once we start talking
about security sensitive possiblity like allowing !command as the
value.

> The `!command` form is not documented in gitmodules.txt. Maybe it would
> be best to fully document .update in gitmodules.txt and just refer to
> there. Having documentation at two places seems to be confusing not only
> for users, but also for those who send patches :)
>
> I'm no longer able to formulate my proposal properly as a patch tonight,
> but if needed I'll try it later.

That is fine.  People have lived with the current text for more than
two years without problems, so we are obviously not in a hurry.