Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-prompt.sh: shorter equal upstream branch name

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 15:35:26 -0700

Richard Hansen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Additional cases could be added to handle git-svn if needed.

Thanks for a review (everything I omitted above looked good to me).

>> +				__git_ps1_upstream_name=${__git_ps1_upstream_name/$__head/=}
>
>   * This could break if ${__head} contains any pattern-special
>     characters.

... but I do not think refnames can have *, ? and such so it may not
be relevant ;-).

>   * While this syntax works in both Bash and Zsh (assuming no
>     pattern-special characters), my preference is to stick to POSIX[1]
>     when possible.

Nah.  The existing script is full of bash-isms like local you
suggested to add (and other constructs like shell arrays and [[ ]]
tests, I suspect), and there is no hope to "fix" them to stick to
the bare-minimum POSIX, and there is no need to do so (isn't this
bash-prompt script after all?)

>   * I don't think the CodingGuidelines explicitly prohibit long lines
>     for shell code, and this file already contains plenty of long
>     lines, but I really dislike lines longer than 80 characters.

Yes, I dislike overlong lines, too.  But I also dislike lines that
are artificially chopped into
shorter pieces without
good reason ;-).