Subject: Re: Understanding behavior of git blame -M

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 10:07:34 -0700

"Sokolov, Konstantin (ext)" <[email-masked]>
writes:

>>git blame -s -n -f -w -M20 file.txt
> ^2cd9f7f 1 1) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
> ^2cd9f7f 3 2) CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC2222222222222222222222222
> ^2cd9f7f 4 3) DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
> d4bbd97e 4 4) BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
> ^2cd9f7f 5 5) EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
> ^2cd9f7f 6 6) GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
> ^2cd9f7f 7 7) FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
>
> I wonder, why line B is not recognized as moved. According to the
> documentation, I would expect git blame to report that it
> originates from line 2 in revision 2cd9f7f. Can anybody explain
> the behavior?

Interesting.  Would it make a difference if you move B further away
from lines A and C?