Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] tag: support configuring --sort via .gitconfig

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 11:17:23 -0700

"Keller, Jacob E" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, 2014-07-15 at 09:03 -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> ...
>> >> Yes, that is fun.
>> >> 
>> >> I actually think your "In 'version:pefname' and 'wersion:refname',
>> >> we want be able to report 'pefname' and 'wersion' are misspelled,
>> >> and returning -1 or enum would not cut it" is a good argument.  The
>> >> callee wants to have flexibility on _what_ to report, just as the
>> >> caller wants to have flexibility on _how_.  In this particular code
>> >> path, I think the former far outweighs the latter, and my suggestion
>> >> I called "silly" might not be so silly but may have struck the right
>> >> balance.  I dunno.
> ...
> I agree. But what about going back to the older setup where the caller
> can output correct error message? I'm ok with using an enum style
> return, to be completely honest. I would prefer this, actually.

Depends on which older setup you mean, I think.  The one that does
not let us easily give more context dependent diagnoses that lets us
distinguish between version:pefname and version:refname by returning
only -1 or an enum?