Subject: Re: Branch Name Case Sensitivity

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:28:58 -0800

Duy Nguyen <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 1:58 AM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Karsten Blees <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>>> If you are on a case-insensitive filesystem, or work on a cross-platform
>>>> project, ensure that you avoid ambiguous refs. Problem solved.
>>>>
>>>
>>> So its OK to lose data if you accidentally use an ambiguous ref? I
>>> cannot believe you actually meant that.
>>
>> I think he meant what he said: "you avoid ambiguous refs".  He did
>> not say "it is not Git's business to help you doing so".
>>
>> I think it is prudent to warn in the end-user facing layer (read: do
>> not touch refs.c to implement something like that) when the user
>> creates "refs/heads/Next" when there already is "refs/heads/next",
>> and I further think it would make sense to do so even on case
>> sensitive platforms.
>
> That does not help when the user creates "next" and pulls "Next" from
> elsewhere, does it?

That depends on what the project policy would be.  At that point,
that user needs to talk with the "elsewhere" person and resolve the
issue (if there is one) according to the policy of their project,
and it is not Git's business to _solve_ it for them.  Warning I
suggested was a way to help avoiding without getting in a way of
projects whose policy is to allow these.