Subject: Re: [PATCH 05/10] t0301: another fix for Windows compatibility

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2025 10:05:55 +0900

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

>> It means that we are punting and are not proactively helping future
>> developers who may make the same mistake, but we expect it would be
>> rather rare so I am OK with us making that trade-off.
>
> Good, then we're on the same page regarding this approach.
>
>> But then can you dial back your condescending tone against those who are
>> not as familiar as glitches in the Windows port of POSIX shell
>> environment we use for tests?
>
> Please don't read more into my words than merely a large frustration with
> the state of Git's test suite.

Well, the proposed log message is to help future readers of "git
log" by explaining the relevant background of what motivated us to
make the change.  Knowing that you were frustrated may make them
sympathize, but it would not help them make robust technical
decisions when they need to further change what the patch leaves
with us.  At that point, telling them our intentions would help them
avoid breaking us while making the end-result fit better for their
purpose.  Do we want them to be extra careful not to frustrate you
specifically when they make a follow-on work in the same area, or
something?