Subject: Re: [GSoC PATCH 0/2] repo: add -z and objects.format

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2025 10:28:03 -0700

Lucas Seiki Oshiro <[email-masked]> writes:

>> What this cover letter doesn't mention is the base of the topic. I
>> assume it's v2.51.0 with lo/repo-info merged into it?
>
> I was assuming next, but I'll make it more clear in the next
> version.

Learn the way how it is usually done by looking at:

https://lore.kernel.org/git/20[email-masked]/

Basically you would want to say

    This is built on top of <commit> with <topic*> merged into it.

where <commit> is a commit on 'master' (or 'maint' or an even older
maintenance track, if the topic is about fixing a bug in a released
version of Git), and <topic*> are topic branches in flight that can
be merged to the same integration target ('master', or an older
maintenance tracks you chose <commit> from).  And keep the number of
<topic*> to an absolute minimum in order for your changes to work.

Do not build on 'next'.  You'll be taken hostage by all the other
topics and have to wait until all of them and the merge commits that
drew them into 'next' are merged to 'master', which will never
happen.

Thanks.