Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] bulk-checkin: wire repository variable

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2025 17:15:13 -0700

Justin Tobler <[email-masked]> writes:

> The bulk-checkin subsystem depends on `the_repository`. Adapt functions
> and call sites to wire the repository variable where needed. The
> `USE_THE_REPOSITORY_VARIBALE` is still required as the
> `pack_compression_level` and `pack_size_limit_cfg` globals are still
> used.

Hmph.

I somehow expected that odb would know what repository it was
instanciated to work with, or in the worst case where in-core odb is
in theory sharable among multiple in-core repositories, at least
begin_odb_transaction() would take <repository, odb> pair and the
transaction would know for which repository the transaction is
working for.

Do we need bulk_checkin_packfile as a separate structure and pass it
around, or would these internal functions be better off passing an
instance of odb_transaction around and learn the repository from
odb->repo?