Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/4] clean up some code around editors

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2025 11:22:55 -0700

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

>>  ifdef DEVELOPER
>>  include config.mak.dev
>> +all:: check-developer
>>  endif
>> ...
> Not a bad idea, though I don't think we need to hide the target behind
> DEVELOPER.

This target is designed to be a collection of light-weight tests for
your uncooked code, so running it when somebody makes a production
build should *not* be too costly, but at the same time, it is more
or less pointless---if it catches somethig for a build engineer, it
is way too late.

On the other hand, if you have only started to add a new command and
trying to see if your skeletal implementation even compiles, it may
be annoying to be told that you still have to write documentation.
You may already know you need to, but you are not ready to do so
yet.  Even though I on purpose made the checks run as part of "all"
to give the target more exposure, I am not sure if limiting to
developer is still too aggressive.