Subject: Re: [PATCH v6] meson: work around broken system PCRE2 dependency in macOS

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2025 15:17:27 -0700

Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belón <[email-masked]> writes:

> macOS provides a PCRE2 library in base that is not usable and not
> configured properly, as it installs a pkgconf module that
> points to a non-existent pcre2.h header in /usr/local/include.
>
> Detect that case and if the feature is enabled, try to fallback
> to a wrapped subproject through an anonymous dependency, aborting
> with an error if that is not possible.
>
> Change the feature to "auto" and print a warning and disable it
> if a broken dependency was detected, but to keep consistency
> with the cmake build system used on Windows, add a special rule
> to re-enable the pcre2 feature by default there.
>
> Helped-by: Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]>
> Suggested-by: Eli Schwartz <[email-masked]>
> Signed-off-by: Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belón <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  meson.build       | 28 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
>  meson_options.txt |  2 +-
>  2 files changed, 28 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

The thread went silent after this iteration.

I _think_ it incorporates all the good suggestions offered during
the discussion on the previous iterations, but is everybody happy
with this version?  If so, let me mark the topic for 'next'.

Thanks, all.