Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 0/4] Importing and exporting stashes to refs

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2025 18:10:59 -0700

"brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Stashes are currently stored using the reflog in a given repository.
> This is an interesting and novel way to handle them, but there is no way
> to easily move a stash across machines.  For example, stashes cannot be
> bundled, pushed, or fetched.
>
> Let's solve this problem by allowing users to import and export stashes
> to a chain of commits.  The commits used in a stash export contain two
> parents: one which is the pointer to the next exported stash (or to an
> empty commit with no parents if there are no more) and the second is the
> stash commit that would normally be stored in the reflog.
>
> Original thread at message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Thanks for resurrecting the thread.  Once this part gets sorted out
and the outside-reflog representation of stash becomes stable, the
next logical step would be to teach the "git stash create" and
friends to directly work on the new format, perhaps?  But first
things first---export+import would certainly be a logical first
step.