Subject: Re: [PATCH] doc: doc-diff: specify date

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2023 18:15:59 -0700

Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:

> Otherwise comparing the output of commits with different dates generates
> unnecessary diffs.
>
> Signed-off-by: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  Documentation/doc-diff | 1 +
>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

Ahh, it is a fix for a fallout from 28fde3a1 (doc: set actual
revdate for manpages, 2023-04-13); when it is shown in the patch
form like this, it is kind of obvious why we need to compensate for
that change this way, but apparently "doc-diff" slipped everybody's
mind back then when we were looking at the change.

Looking at the patch text of 28fde3a1, we pass GIT_VERSION and
GIT_DATE to AsciiDoc since that version.  We were already covering
GIT_VERSION by hardcoded "omitted" string, and now we compensate for
the other one here, which means this change and the other changes
complement each other, and there shouldn't be a need to further
adjustment for that change around this area.  Looking good.

> diff --git a/Documentation/doc-diff b/Documentation/doc-diff
> index 1694300e50..554a78a12d 100755
> --- a/Documentation/doc-diff
> +++ b/Documentation/doc-diff
> @@ -153,6 +153,7 @@ render_tree () {
>  		make -j$parallel -C "$tmp/worktree" \
>  			$makemanflags \
>  			GIT_VERSION=omitted \
> +			GIT_DATE=1970-01-01 \
>  			SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH=0 \
>  			DESTDIR="$tmp/installed/$dname+" \
>  			install-man &&

I wonder what the existing SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH was trying to do there,
though.

Will queue.  Thanks.