Subject: Re: Inconsistent names in `git shortlog`

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 08:46:07 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 02:00:27AM +0200, Blyxyas wrote:
>
>> This isn't a big deal on its own, but there are some external tools
>> (like thanks.rust-lang.org) that use the output of `git shortlog` to
>> thank contributors, and it has some cases of people going just by
>> their first name (no surnames), or people appearing multiple times,
>> once with their username and one with their real name.
>
> I agree with everything brian said elsewhere, but I wanted to add one
> thing: for this "multiple times" problem, it can be solved with a
> mailmap file, which associates names such that ones you don't like can
> be rewritten to ones that you do. See "git help mailmap" for details and
> examples.

And another, potentially more effective, tool is to have a project
convention.  Teach the participant of your project to be consistent
in the first place.