Subject: Re: [PATCH] doc: asciidoc: remove custom header macro

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 21:22:03 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 04:15:23PM -0600, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>
>> In 2007 we added a custom header macro to provide version information
>> 7ef195ba3e (Documentation: Add version information to man pages,
>> 2007-03-25),
>> 
>> However, in 2008 asciidoc added the attributes to do this properly [1].
>> 
>> This was not implemented in Git until 2019: 226daba280 (Doc/Makefile:
>> give mansource/-version/-manual attributes, 2019-09-16).
>> 
>> But in 2023 we are doing it properly, so there's no need for the custom
>> macro.
>> 
>> [1] https://github.com/asciidoc-py/asciidoc-py/commit/ad78a3c
>
> This should be OK to do, as it is just touching the python asciidoc
> side. When we discussed those attributes in 2019:
>
>   https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
>
> asciidoctor support was new and incomplete. It needed v1.5.7 (from
> 2018), and even today still does not seem to handle manversion. But
> since this patch leaves in place the equivalent hack in
> asciidoctor-extensions.rb, it will continue working.

Sounds like the proposed log message can use a bit more polishing to
help future readers of "git log", then.  But I think it is not
required to be explicit about us leaving the asciidoctor side
untouched to keep it working (in other words, we do not talk about
things that we are not doing in our log message, unless it is so
unnatural not to do them at the same time to warrant such an
explanation).

Will queue with your Reviewed-by: in the morning.

Thanks, both.