Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] sequencer - tipped merge strategy

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 09:32:34 -0800

Elijah Newren <[email-masked]> writes:

> Having read the rest of this thread, I notice you pointed out to Junio
> that you want to amend a commit in the history of the merge,
> suggesting you are just modifying the commit message (or maybe
> author/committer info).  More generally, I _think_ your usecase and
> justification for this patch could be worded something like:
>
> """
> We often rebase with `--rebase-merges`, `--interactive`, and
> `--keep-base` (or equivalent command line flags) and only modify
> commit metadata during the rebase.  Since we do not modify any files,
> we would like the rebase to proceed without conflicts.

It makes very much sense to focus on this narrow but useful use
case, and I view it a very natural extension to already existing "if
we just pick without any user interaction a commit on top of its
current base, the we do not do anything, fast-forward and just
pretend we picked it".  IOW, shouldn't it something the sequencer
machinery should be able to do natively without forcing the user to
specify a new merge strategy?