Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 2/3] rebase: stop accepting --rebase-merges=""

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 10:40:51 -0800

Alex Henrie <[email-masked]> writes:

> The only way to truly make "[rebase] merges =" invalid is to print an
> error message and die with that configuration. I think that would be
> confusing too, especially since it's now looking like rebase.merges
> needs to be a pure boolean and an independent rebase.cousins boolean
> option is needed as well.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that direction.

I do not know why rebase.cousins, which would only be meaningful
when rebase.merges is true, is a better design than rebase.merges
that is an enum of "don't do the merges stuff" plus "do the merges
stuff with cousins", "without cousins" (which may allow us to gain
more different ways to do "merges stuff" later), but that is what
gained consensus on the list, then "[rebase]merges=" would become a
problem.

But --rebase-merges from the command line is not a pure Boolean
already, so what does "[rebase]merges" that is a pure Boolean aim to
help?